Some comments from teachers attending sessions about children’s literature,
Canberra, April 2013
What did you find useful and enjoyable about this Professional learning?
- Linked to National Curriculum, clear information, useable immediately.
- Bringing it together with illustrations of children's postmodern texts.
- The use of picture book examples to demonstrate multimodal literacies
- The variety of picture books used and digital resources. Thanks for providing a book list.
- Great to develop language around the concepts.
- The opportunity to consider all the systems involved in reading for meaning. Presenters very knowledgeable and interesting.
- The use of appropriate/directed audience participation that taught us a system or way of analysing text.
- Academic content.
- Clear examples and analysis of ideas and concepts. Some ideas were useable instantly.
- All the visuals that helped me to understand the concepts of semiotic systems.
- The relevance and high level of knowledge and experience.
What learning/idea will you implement from this PL at your school?
- Monitoring how I read and use picture books with children in the early years.
- Deconstructing text and multimodal texts.
- Exploring literature with increased awareness of exploring all aspects to ensure a more enjoyable and meaningful experience.
- Explaining imagery and highlighting elements of the pictures e.g. Point of view, colour.
- Identifying how we as teachers read and view in order to meaningfully apply ‘think alouds’ and modelling.
- Use and view picture books with greater attention to these systems - to bring the language to the students.
- Discussion about how we present texts in class.
- Explicit teaching of all 5 semiotic strategies in context (children’s literature).